Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:45:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol questions

> > What does reverse video mean?  What does underline mean?
> [snip]
>
> terry,
>
> user_default and kernel_default were provided for the purpose the
> gentleman asked about.
>
> vidcontrol only operates on the console, thus the question was
> concerning the console.
>
> there is no need to mung up termcap by giving nonstandard definitions
> for standard items.
>
> also, check case 'm': in syscons.c...  i believe it does follow the
> SCO standard for changing colors seperately from the attributes you mention.

Yah.  The point is that you aren't talking colors when you use "sticky"
values for these things.  He's confused sticky and non-sticky in his
expectations, so the real bug is not in the software.

As far as not hacking termcap:  This presumes you are using the
color console as a monochrome console, but with different definitions
of "default", "reverse", "underline", "blink", "bold", and whatever
other attributes you pretend to accept (ie: double wide, double high
and wide, top half, double wide and high bottom half, etc.).

If you want to use it as a color terminal, you shouldn't depend on
"sticky" defaults.

For example, how does a particular set of "sticky" defaults interact
with colorls (answer: badly), and so on.

So setting defaults is kind of mutually exclusive with treating it
as a color console... if I select a foreground color of green in
my color aware application, I'm pretty much screwed if the user has
selected a "default backgound color" of green as well.  I have no
way of knowing this, as a color aware application.

The SCO "setcolor" utility was really meant for changing defaults
for monochrome-only aware apps.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---