Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:55:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 and FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Jeff Lynch wrote:
> >
> >> The only problems I've had with 2940UWs on fbsd2.1.5-2.2.1 have occurred
> >> when we mix wide/narrow devices on the host adapter or attach a narrow
> >> (of course) external tape drive. Leaving the bus all wide or all narrow
> >> and all internal has never given us problems.
> >
> >The servers we have that keep blowing up have only a single internal DAT
> >on the narrow bus and a single internal UW HDD on the wide bus.  It most
> >common for a tape error to lock up the machine, but they also lock up
> >with the same symptoms when no backups are being done.
>
>    Hmmm...Do you have a narrow->wide converter than has termination for the
> upper (wide) data bits? I had a lot of problems here with using a narrow
> drive on a wide controller until Justin pointed out that the upper bits have
> to be terminated. I fixed the problem by putting a wide device at the end
> of the same cable that the narrow device was on (thus providing full wide
> termination).

The trick, I think, is to have the last wide and the last narrow devices
terminated.  On the controller do not terminate the narrow but do
terminate the wide.  Works out something like this:

W---------------C
I		O
D		N
E---------------T
N---------------r-------N
A		o	A
R		l	R

Not quite up to Terry's ansi art but you get the idea.  :}

Note that you can only use two of internal narrow, internal wide, and
external.  Using all three results in a 'Y' effect on the narrow side of
the scsi chain.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD