Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 10:27:15 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-stable from 3.0-current machine?

In message <19971205163102.62094@hydrogen.nike.efn.org> John-Mark
Gurney writes:
: this shouldn't be hard... first, make sure that /usr/src/ points to your
: 2.2-stable tree...  -stable doesn't have the fixes that allow you to do
: tree independant builds (unless Bruce's sneaked the changes in without
: me looking)...

nope.  I was finally able to build -stable on my -current box.

: be careful though.. many of the normal binaries that you use aren't built,
: you will probably need to modify the Makefile to build more binaries if
: you want it to be useful...

hmmmm.  I have enough disk space that doing a make install
DESTDIR=/xyzzy is an option for me.  I'll have to investigate that
more closely.

: another thing to watch out for is the mk files path...  you still end up
: using the ones in /usr/share/mk/* instead of the buildworld's set... I
: haven't figured out how to fix this... but they are modular enough that
: you can just upgrade 'em...  (becareful of bsd.prog.mk..  it contains
: fixes for ELF that aren't compatible with 2.2, at least my version of 2.2)

hmmm.  make -m doesn't do this for you?

: hope this info helps you get it running..

I'll let you know.  I think that it would be a big win if there were
some way to add support of this to the base system.  I'm not sure I
like the eval approach, since you use ksh, and I use tcsh :-).  it is
a good start, however, at cracking this problem.

Warner