Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:29:19 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/4844

> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group said:
> > I noticed a patch to vfs_bio.c (revision 1.135) to possibly fix kern/4630.

> > Would this fix kern/4844 too?  Would it be wise to apply this patch when
> > installing 2.2.5R?
> >
> If that is the removal of the bfreekva in brelse, then it might help, however
,
> that causes another problem that has to be patched.  At the end of this mail
> is a vfs_bio.c patched with the appropriate changes.  It might not compile
> (I cannot compile it right now), but if you can get it to compile, it should
> be (close to) correct.
>
> So, this is a general call to 2.2.5 hackers and advanced users to check this
> out (caveat hacker) for a potential stability improvement.

John, I've been using your replacement vfs_bio.c that you've posted along with
patches to vm_page.c and vm_map.c.  The system has been up for over 4 days.
Prior to installing these patches the longest time it's been up is for 31
hours.

I've also installed the patches recommeded in the 2.2.5 Errata, a ccdconfig
security patch (taken from stable), the open patch (from the FreeBSD security
advisory), and a fix for the "land" attack (taken from stable).

Thanks for your help.

> --
> John
> dyson@freebsd.org
> jdyson@nc.com

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."