Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:02:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brady K. Adams" <BKADAMS@us.oracle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to install FreeBSD from floppies

On 9 Jan 1998, Brady K. Adams wrote:

> 1) Thank you for the help.  Actually, after some trial-and-error last night
> was able to get the floppy installation to work.  The problem that I was
> having was that I did not have the correct directory structure on the
> installation floppy.  I had originally had the following on the initial
> disk:

Aah!  Congrats!

> a:\bin\bin.inf
> a:\bin\bin.aa
> a:\bin\bin.ab
> a:\bin\bin.ac
> a:\bin\bin.ad
>
> however, the installation only worked with the following directory structure
> on the initial disk:
>
> a:\freebsd\bin\bin.inf
> a:\freebsd\bin\bin.aa
> a:\freebsd\bin\bin.ab
> a:\freebsd\bin\bin.ac
> a:\freebsd\bin\bin.ad

Hm, will have to keep that in mind.  That's a level deeper than before.
:-/

> 2) I now have another problem in that once the installation of the bin
> packages has completed, the installation procedure stops and then says that
> other installation components have not been installed (doc, compat1x, games,
> ports, etc.).  Again, I am trying to do a full installation.  Any ideas
> here?

Last I remember, you have to place the .inf file for the next distribution
on the last disk of the previous distribution.  You might be able to bend
that by putting all the .inf files on one disk so they get copied at once.

The floppy install procedure is twisted.  :-(