Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:46:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        akm@mother.sneaker.net.au (Andrew Kenneth Milton)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free Slowaris (was: Free netscape - good or bad ?)

> My point being that I don't see people deserting Solaris in droves (at least
> not because they've made the source available), and SunSoft obviously still
> participate in the ongoing development of their product. Not so much a
> comment on the difficulty of obtaining source, more a retort to Darren's
> outlook on life.

I don't see people hacking on Solaris in droves, either.  If that
was their intent, it has failed.

If it were actually out there "free for non-commercial use" with
some restriction lifts so I could hack on it *and* still hack on
FreeBSD, then I'd probably have a JAZ disk with Solaris on it.

As it is, I can hack on FreeBSD, and if Solaris wants it, they can
take the ideas and pay someone else to become "contaminated" by
having seen their code, and integrate my ideas.

This is, of course, more expensive for them; if they were clever
they would have put it out under JAVA-style license; we would all
carefully develope for FreeBSD first (of course) to keep the porting
direction pure of "free for non-commercial use" restrictions, but
at least someone would actually be hacking on the thing for them.

I, for one, have a hard time trusting a revocable JAVA license,
however: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.