Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:04:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Subject:   Re: Minor annoyances with ZIP Plus

On 25-Jan-98 Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>> Don't worry; these errors are "normal".  Well, as "normal" as Iomega SCSI
>> devices get, anyway.  Apparently Iomega subscribes to some "weird",
>> non-standard variant of SCSI, in that their devices do not support certain
>> SCSI commands mandated by the SCSI specification, specifically, those SCSI
>> commansd that ask a device to specify its geometry (size, #
>> heads/sectors/etc.).  When presented with this anomalous behavior, the
>> FreeBSD driver guesses the device's geometry, and so everything still
>> works.
>
>This isn't the case.  FreeBSD was being silly in asking for the optional,
>rigid geometry page, which the IOMega guys chose not to implement.  Since
>FreeBSD stopped using physical geometry to "optimize" disk I/O (which
>doesn't work on the ZBR drives of today), asking for the rigid geometry
>wasn't buying us anything and the code was recently changed to use the
>information returned by the Read Capacity command instead.

Just how recently was this? :-)  If within the last couple of days in stable,
i'll compile a new kernel and see how I fare.  If its only in current, i'll
just have to put up with the errors for now, i guess (i'm feeling adventurous
enough to try current, though).

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net