Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 23:27:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, rivers@dignus.com, capriotti0@hotmail.com, capriotti@geocities.com, config@FreeBSD.ORG, joe.shevland@horizonti.com
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > used, sometimes explicitly).
>
> This is not terrifically useful for a text-only install on a serial
> console.  Remember that whatever technology is selected must work
> without http.
>
> What you are describing is an implementation detail for a general
> interface.

  I only mean that HTTP protocol provides means for transactions handling
implementation that don't need an identifier being passed explicitly. It's
definitely possible to use any other protocol or invent new one that will
provide the same thing with (your example with LDAP) or without
identifier, however I think that HTTP provides exactly what is necessary
without increasing the number of protocols involved.

  As for text console and no network connection, HTTP is perfectly usable
over loopback network interface with text-mode client for user interface,
so user-interface part (if necessary) can be done through it, too. Again,
it can be done through locally running application with any kind of user
interface or none at all with nothing related to HTML, or remotely
running the same application, or whatever else -- just the possibility of
adding HTML user interface without introducing new protocols and
authentication systems to existing ones makes HTTP a bit better choice for
internal protocol. At least, it will be more manageable, secure, suitable
for large network or single non-networked host, and consistent by design
than anything NIS-like (network administration) or SMIT-like (local
administration).

--
Alex