Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:25:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Adaptec 7895 (again)...

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> 	Well, to make boot floppies you generally have to make a release.
> That is a major pain.
[snip]

This is only partially true :-) : yes, making release is a pain (space and
time-wise); and no, you can make the boot.flp by hand if you know what to
do.

> Check out:
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/cam-boot.tgz
>
> 	It is a CAM boot floppy, probably made from our latest released CAM
> snapshot.  (back in early January)

This archive contains also the second image, which contains GENERIC kernel
with CAM, but without MFS. It also contains necessary programs (cp, rm,
mount....) to bootstrap this kernel in place of generic GENERIC :-), which
was put in /kernel during installation (and which doesn't support 7895).

BTW. I recall that someone (jkh?) mentioned at that time that there was
going to be a next snapshot of the CAM code RSN. If it's true, and if I
can grab it, I'll be happy to prepare newer version of cam-boot.flp.

Andrzej Bialecki