Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:06:06 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: Donations.u

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 02:18:18 +0000 (GMT), Terry Lambert
<tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>The concern I would have if I were a company that funded some work
>outside the management of FreeBSD proper would be whether or not,
>when completed, the work would be committed back to the mainline
>FreeBSD, such that it would appear and be maintained in subsequent
>releases.
>
>If there were a way to fund this under the management of FreeBSD
>proper, it would go a long way toward alleviating this concern.

Another aspect:

PHK told Karl to pay a contractor to fix his NFS problems.  But Karl
is not the only one having NFS problems.  It doesn't make sense for
Karl to pay for all the work of fixing NFS and everyone else to get a
free ride.

Karl, I, and many others would like to pool our resources to avoid
bearing the financial burden individually.  Someone has to administer
that type of arrangement.  Pay them reasonable administration fees.

--
Browser war over, Mozilla now free.