Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:42:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tweten@frihet.com, keefe@cse.psu.edu, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeouts with adaptec 1742

As David Greenman wrote...
> >Last October, you had a discussion on the FreeBSD SCSI list with Julian
> >Elischer about your difficulties with an Adaptec 1742 and a Seagate ST32151N,
> >under FreeBSD.  You said that the combination worked under DOS.
> >Since I'm experiencing a similar problem with a 1742, FreeBSD 2.2.5, and a
> >Seagate ST34571N, I'm hoping your problem actually was resolved.  Was it?  If
> >so, what was the resolution?
>
>    That seems kind of strange, but I had problems using a 1742 with modern
> drives myself back in FreeBSD 1.x days - it simply refused to work reliably
> in fast (10MHz) mode with certain drives - actually resulting in corrupt
> data being written out(!). ...I don't know if this is at all related to
> your problem, however. You might try slowing things down to 5MHz though...

David is right: the 174x is a known pain in the b*tt for newer/faster drives.
It is very sensitive to the 'cleanliness' of the SCSI bus, for instance you
should not use an external and an internal cable on the same board at the
same time. Some people get away with it, for others it is the kiss of death.

I have FreeBSD 2.x running with 1740 successfully, but only with non-fast
drives. 274x boards tend to be quite a bit better

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --