Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 07:19:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include sched.h Makefile

Peter Dufault wrote:
> What are the options for keeping the structures in one place,
> though? The data structures are already mandated to show up in that
> user header and the choices are:
>
> 1. Don't worry about it - the kernel won't create functions that
> conflict, or if they do it is because it makes sense;
>
> 2. Use the standard-defined header in the kernel and #ifdef out
> for the kernel (as I did though I don't need to);
>
> 3. Create some new header file.
>
> I'm happy with either 1 or 2, and 2 seemed the safest for mass production.

That's probably regarded as the "traditional" BSD way, so you're just
being consistent. If I had my way, though, I'd design such things to make
the underlying (kernel in this case) implementation opaque to the user
so that changes in that don't cause recompiles of user programs. An
example of what I'd prefer to avoid is the visibility that user-space
has to struct proc. I like to use the concept of public and private
headers. But it is "lonely" working on BSD having that opinion. 8-(

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137