Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:34:27 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idprio/rtprio

In the last episode (Mar 12), Mikael Karpberg said:
> According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > > First, contrary to what the manpage says, an ordinary user can no
> > > longer run idprio.
> >
> > It's the man page that's wrong since this was disallowed awhile
> > back after BEST Internet filed a PR noting that an ordinary user
> > could put your system in very bad shape by using it.  The man page
> > has been fixed, thanks.
>
> Hmm... I just can't seem to remember how. Breif summary?

How?  Easy.  Run rc564 at idlepri, and run another high-CPU process.
Eventually, the rc564 process will try a filesystem operation.  After
that, every process trying to hit a file will hang too.  If you
unidprio the rc564 process or kill the high-cpu process (letting rc564
run again) everything will return to normal.  I've done this to myself
three or four times, and have resorted to running rc564 at nice 20 for
now.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com