Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:08:54 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 11:48:58AM -0800, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> According to Brett Taylor:

> > > Proactive???
> > >
> > > cd /usr/ports/x11/lesstif
> > > make
> > > ===>  lesstif-0.83 : You have an old file (/usr/local/include/tk.h) that
> > > could cause problems for some ports to compile. Please remove it and try
> > > again. You may have to reinstall tk from the ports tree afterwards.
> >
> > Yes, proactive.  Look at tk-8.0.2's PLIST.  There you find the following
> > entry:
> >
> > "/usr/local/"include/tk8.0/tk.h   (stuff in " is not in the PLIST but ..)
> >
> > The file tk.h comes from the old base system when tk/tcl were included.
> > Now they're not and you're expected to use the correct ones from the
> > ports.
> >
> > This warning is just telling you to get rid of old dreck that doesn't
> > belong anymore.
> >

> Okay, I'll use short simple words and sentences.

Let's say checking a port for problems with obsolete TK versions take 3
minutes on average (and some of the cases are pretty complex, so I don't
think that's runreasonable).  1400*3 = 7000 minutes, approximately 3 work
weeks.

It's Too Expensive To Check.

Was that simple enough words for you?

BTW: Looking at dependencies is not good enough, just to counter that
argument before it shows up.

Eivind.