Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

According to Eivind Eklund:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 04:11:36PM -0800, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> > According to Eivind Eklund:
> > > On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 11:48:58AM -0800, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> > >

> > There are 1078 Makefiles in my /usr/ports.  I've conceded that I
> > don't have the entire ports trees because japanese, korean, etc
> > are irrelevant to me.  Of those 1078 Makefiles, there are 59
> > references to the string "tk" in the CATEGORIES variable.  There can be
> > only 59 ports that have a problem with an obsolete tk.h.
>

> Damn, the dependencies/categories-argument.  The one I told you didn't hold.
> OK, I'll go through the details:

add

#if defined(TK_HEADER_CONFLICT) || defined(TCL_HEADER_CONFLICT)

#endif

Around the buggy part of bsd.port.mk.
Then in the Makefile of any port that consumes tk or tcl, add

TK_HEADER_CONFLICT=YES
TCL_HEADER_CONFLICT=YES

This flags the problem once.

> This isn't enough - there are ports that build conditionally on whether
> things are present, even though they don't bring them in if they aren't
> present.  We don't know if any does that for TCL or TK, but it is likely
> enough to require that every port be checked.

See above.

> And this isn't actually a cost which any of us are at all interested in
> bearing.  Thus, "the quick way out" - force people with bugged systems to
> remove those header files.  Yes, it is correct that this wouldn't be the
> ultimate solution if we had infinite manpower.  However, we don't, so that's
> the solution we use.  The users get a more consistent system as an added
> benefit.

Suppose I have a program foobar, and the person who wrote foobar
decided to name a file tk.h.  Now, suppose I install foobar in /usr/local
and tk.h ends up in /usr/local/include.  Furthermore, foobar needs
tk.h to run (it may contain config info).   Removing tk.h is not a
good thing.

> If you are prepared to go build all the ports with and without all the three
> different TK-cases so you can add a 'builds OK with buggy TK' variable to
> each of them - feel free to.  Here are a few issues you'll have to contend
> with:

Your issues are irrelevant.  See above.

> You can probably automate much of this, but the parts you can't automate is
> going to be damn expensive.  I'd suggest it would probably be more
> productive to use that time for something else.  An improvement to the text
> in bsd.port.mk that tripped you would be a good start ;-)

Agreed.  The text needs some improvement.

PS:  I don't take things personal.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu