Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:47:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ejs@bfd.com, tlambert@primenet.com, fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk, toniel@flash.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hackers-digest V4 #75

> > > Oh wait, that's not why destination filtering is a *good* idea, that's
> > > why it's a *stupid* idea...
> >
> > Stupid for your situation, Terry, not for mine. Blocking all hotmail is
> > not fine for us, because some of our customers are using hotmail.
>
> Not that Hotmail is relevent, but...
>
> Just FYI, Hotmail is a harvester.  If you send mail to a Hotmail
> user from a non-Hotmail user, or if a Hotmail user sends you mail,
> your address gets "harvested" and put onto a for-sale "SPAM me"
> list.
>
> Juno does the same thing, as do three of the four "unsubscribe me"
> ``services'' referenced from the Ziff-Davis page.

I didn't realize this was not going to "chat", like it was supposed
to, according to the last claims for "followups to chat".

For the record, let me note that the "harvesting" could be covert,
instead of being corporately sponsored.

It could very well be that these places have inadequate hiring
practices, in which case they could end up with an untrustworthy
employee selling their mail logs to the highest bidder.

Obviously, from my previous mail, I think that this is a relatively
improbable explanation, but it *is* a possibility (however almost
astronomically remote I believe that explanation to be).

It could also be that their sites have been compromised by SPAM'mer
crackers (an even more remote possibility, IMO).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.