Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ian Field <ifield@omnikron.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Ian Field wrote:

> 	Working with a new laptop (A Sharp 9020) piece of crap really, but I
> thought I'd try installing 2.2.6-RELEASE on it anyway.  I haven't used
> FreeBSD on a laptop yet, and was hoping for a little more support in the
> pcmcia dept.  The card I need to configure is a standard 36589d (etherlink
> III) which the kernel supports (supposedly)  But to no avail, enabling
> pccard didn't do a thing - do I need to make a pccard.conf entry?  If so,
> what?

You need to rebuild a kernel with the pccard devices for that to work.
Try manipulating the zp device.  Make sure you disable the ze device
though.

> 	After playing with the base install for awhile, I decided I needed the
> PAO... the file I dl'd was PAO-971211.tar.gz, meant for 2.2.5-RELEASE  (will
> that be a prob?)  I tried pkg_add (failed with "no +CONTENTS")  then "gz -dc
> <file> | tar xvf -" and "make" (make failed with directory errors)  I can't
> find any install documentation on the PAO site... any clues?

That isn't a package.  Extract it manually and read the README.  It walks
you through the installation step-by-step.

> 	Also, having problems with the machine's Cirrus Logic 754x vid
> adapter and XFree86... can't seem to get it to start without freezing
> (tried every config I could think of)

run xf86config and select your video card type from the list -- it'll give
you some sample modelines that should work.