Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 06:19:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, danj@3skel.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD - the user's piece of the action.

> Further, I in no way intended my remarks to be taken as someone else,
> the core team or others, should do the work.  I understand that the work
> has to be done by volunteers, like myself.  Sadly you sniped my closing
> sentence where I offered my time in some capacity that would benefit
> the cause.  Nor was I necessarily expecting direction from your group.

Again, it was not my intention to slam you or your willingness to help
out so much as it was to make a general point - your message was just
the straw which got me to write it. :)

> You mention RAH RAH!! and warfare, both are subjects that I know a few
> things about.  You don't necessarily need to match the enemy man for
> man.  I once was part of a regiment that faced three full divisions and
> we emerged victorious!!  I can also speak to the part that RAH RAH
> plays on winning football teams.  The idea being that RAH RAH puts the
> fire in the gut and leads people on to victory what ever the endeavor.

Heh.  I also didn't mean to imply that a few very strategically
employed individuals couldn't make a substantive difference in the
face of massive opposition - hell, the fact that we're going to have
to do exactly that is something of a given since we're already heavily
outnumbered and far behind enemy lines. :-) I was simply trying to
make it very clear that unless the FreeBSD "citizenry" get actively
involved, we're going to fail in competition with any OS group who's
users *are* involved.  The difference between fighting an enemy who's
motivated vs one who's dispirited and fighting only under duress is
also something that you, as a military man, should be well familiar
with. :)

> Perhaps a core team of volunteers modeled on the way the core
> development team operates will be just as effective in getting our job
> done as you are doing yours.  Just as you are the leader of the core
> team our leader will arise from ongoing dialog and compilation of ideas
> that eventually jell into the business plan that I suggested, and our

I've no problem with that idea at all.  Moreover, I think that the
FreeBSD project has always strongly endorsed the concept of a
"management hierarchy", possibly more out of enlightened laziness than
anything else, since any reasonably effective hierarchy enables one to
not have to worry about a large number of things.  I'd like to not
have to worry so much about grass-roots publicity and such, yes. :-)

However, getting people genuinely willing to "manage" is harder than
it looks.  Being willing to lead implies a long-term committment
and that scares a lot of people off.

> BTW, a mutual aquaintance mentioned that there is a remarkable
> resemblance between yourself and the BSD Daemon ;-) Now is your humor
> tonight?

Hmmmm.  My picture is in various places around the net, so I'll let
you simply judge that for yourself.  Needless to say, I don't think
I've eaten quite *that* much pie this year. :-)

						Jordan