Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:20:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation problem

(It is important to make a visual differentiation between the text you
 are quoting, and your own text.  You need to reconfigure your mail
 software.)

This question belongs on the emulation list, whence it has been copied.

> > From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
> >

> > > Is it possible to force the Linux emulator to use the /compat/linux
> > > tree only for shared libraries and other system files but not on the
> > > user level?
> >
> > Not in a useful fashion, no.  There is no way to tell the difference
> > between a Linux application searching for something that "should" be in
> > /compat/linux and something that "shouldn't".
>
> It could fall though.  If, for example, an app tries to open
> /usr/share/dict/words, the kernel could try
> /compat/linux/usr/share/dict/words, fail, and then try
> /usr/share/dict/words before giving up.
> I believe this would be genuinely useful behaviour.

Oddly enough, this is exactly how it works now.

The problem is that when the target of the lookup is a directory, and
the directory is found in the compatibility area, traversing this
directory will only yield the file entries for the files in the
compatibility area.

This is more or less unavoidable.