Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:34:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevels and more liberal use of schg on system files (fwd)

<<On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:29:32 +0000, Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie> said:

> The default protections applied by make installworld seem to be
> rather half hearted alright.  :) Anyone planning to run with
> securelevel >0 with the current install script would be well advised
> to supplement them.  It would be very nice to see someone think
> through which binaries need to be protected as part of an overall
> brainstorming session about making securelevels useful.

My secure system runs with all major system directories append-only.
In order for an attacker to replace an important program, he would
first have to delete it (since he can't open it for write), which
sappnd prevents.  It also has a very restricted set of network
services: anon ftp, Web cache, eklogin, and CVSup mirror---that's it.
(Well, you can probably finger it, too.)

-GAWollman