Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:33:05 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hsu@clinet.fi, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/1810

Bruce Evans writes:
 > >Apparently my PR was unclear.  The problem is that fsck -p for a group of
 > >filesystems given on a command line is not parallel (possibly unless fstab
 > >has them with nonzero pass number).  For a good size news server this makes
 > >making fsck -p as a separate news boot phase impossible, as sequential fsck
 > >for >15G of disk space takes more than an hour.
 >
 > Why do you need to check them on the command line?  I guess it is
 > because checking everything in fstab would fall over on mounted or
 > unwanted partitions.

I want to get the system up so that it has sshd and other things up, so
that if there is a problem with fsck, it can be fixed remotely; so I would
have "noauto" in fstab, and then in rc.local just before starting innd
would do fsck -p /dev/{news-spool-filesystems}

Currently I am using a script which runs parallel fsck -y:s on the
filesystems until they are clean, so I have a different approach now.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276