Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:50:51 +0800 (HKT)
From:      Super-User <root@asiainter.net>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mono video card not working in freebsd 3.0-980311-snap

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> >> Do you have the mono video card _alone_ in your machine?
> >>
> >> If you have both a mono card and a VGA card, the console driver will
> >> use the VGA.
> >> Kazu
> >i've tried everything.  with both, the mono monitor has the blinking
> >cursor in the topleft corner and never moves.
> >with the mono alone, it goes as normal, asks for boot options, then after
> >the kernel is loaded - nothing moves.  i've tried 2 different mono video
> >cards that are almost identical.
> >is there anything i can do here to help isolate the problem?
>
> I think the most BIOS has a menu to set the primary video card.  How
> is it set in your machine?
>
> And have you ever successfully run any previous versions of FreeBSD
> with your mono card?
> Kazu

the bios beeps with an error and makes you change it to mono, when
changing.  i haven't run a previous bsd.  solaris x86 would lock up after

i found the error in this, and got it to work ok with freebsd..
after much playing around with the jumpers on the card, i found a setting
that it would work in.  quite odd..  it would work fine in dos.
hope this helps you to help others :-)
thanks for the quick responses.