Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 12:20:38 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: struct ifnet handling...

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 09:51:04AM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > but "chains" can be emulated with relative ease and efficiency
> > > using optimized SKIPTO instructions.
> >
> > Are you talking about automatically or by the user?  If you're talking
>
> the "otimization" i am talking about is replacing rule numbers with
> pointers so that there is no need to scan the whole database each time.
> This is done automatically in my code, and the user knows nothing about
> it.

That's only a tiny change in the implementation - not too interesting
from the perspective of doing optimal rulesets (though it _is_
interesting for using the present implementation - it was a very
necessary optimization there).

> I am not considering more sophisticated optimizations like 'hmmm this
> test was done earlier so let's just skip it'.

These are the optimizations I'm considering, mostly.  And "let's add
test e which will distinguish whether to run test a&b or test c&d'.

Eivind.