Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 05:28:06 -0400
From:      Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Intermediate (?) level CVS questions]

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 03:04:09PM -0400, Brian Cully wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 12:51:01PM -0700, Studded wrote:
> > However I think this point is moot because I figured that every
> > time I cvsup'ed the cvs tree it would delete my changes, and I was
> > correct in that when I tested.
>
> You cannot branch with CVSup. Even if you could convince cvs to check
> the changes in, CVSup will happily clobber them when it's next run.

This isn't entirely true.  Last time I checked if you removed the
"delete" option from your CVSup file, then CVSup only blows away your
checkins with conflicting revisions.  This means that if add a branch
and commit to it, it is safe unless the real CVS tree is also branched
at the same place.

(And even this could be avoided if you modified your local CVS to take
an option allowing you to specify a different starting branch number
instead of 0, ie making a branch at 1.2 use rel 1.2.42.1 instead of
1.2.0.1).

This used to be how I kept track of local FreeBSD changes at the last
company I worked for.  I would branch at RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE with a
branch name like LOCAL_2_2_1.  Then when RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE was made
I'd make a new LOCAL_2_2_2 branch and merge in all changes between
RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE and LOCAL_2_2_1.  (Where "LOCAL" was actually the
name of the company I was at.)  Although it took awhile for CVS to walk
the entire tree branching everything, I only had to do it every release.

> FWIW, I think Terry's also keen on CVSup branching, so you might be
> able to convince John that it's worth his time to pursue.

Indeed some sort of special handling for local branches with CVSup, or
CVSuping into the vender branch would be really nice.

--
Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>, DDM Consulting