Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 10:18:10 +1000
From:      Joe <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UART's

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I wasn't sure if this was a newbie question to be directed at hackers or
> > vice-versa, so here it is.
> >
> > I'm interested in writing a device driver for a 16550 UART serial port
> > (I hope that's right). Is there a few good source code files to gain an
> > understanding of this in the kernel source?
>
> Is this meant to be a driver for FreeBSD, or some other operating
> system?  If the former, what's wrong with the driver we already have?

:) Nothing's wrong with it at all.

Sorry, I should have expanded. The driver is going to be for Windoze,
because
their standard serial driver cannot cope with a particular problem I'm
experiencing.
A friend has set up a fish-feeding device (sits on a mast out in a lake)
that
provides feedback and other services, communicating with a PC back
'on-shore'.

Using an RS232 serial connection between the two devices (PC - custom
device) is
fine, as is a current loop. However, when a radio signal is used (with a
much
higher packet error rate), the Win driver vomits and replies that it has
0 bytes in the
read buffer (even though the other device is happily transmitting). The
interesting thing
is that slower (CPU) PC's work better than faster PC's when using the
radio transmission.
That's pretty sketchy (and prob. doesn't make sense), but that's all I
know as
of this minute. Anyway, just wanted to see how FBSD handles the UART.

Cheers.