Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:24:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, eivind@yes.no, paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

> We use dset for saving fixed-size data back into preallocated
> structures.  The ugliness involved in having this data associated with
> one and only one kernel should be obvious; the mappings are independant
> of kernel configuration and/or driver configuration.

> I should be able to edit (eg.) /boot/devicemap and add a new PnP device
> without having to update my kernel source and/or stuff the new data
> into an installed kernel with dset.

it's a hack -- no doubt about it. But being a manual mechanism is
simpler to program and more flexible than something that fetches the
compatibility IDs from a PnP descriptor.

Perhaps we can add an option to dset to move this info between
installed kernels and regular files, so as to make them more
persistent.

	cheers
	luigi