Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:36:15 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: bin/854: swapinfo shows incorrect information for vnconfig'd swap.

> as it can be with this duplication.  Sorry, no diff.  I just had
> the idea and now put it into a reply to the PR.

Now I have a diff for FreeBSD 2.2-stable from a few days ago.
I tested it with creating some additional vn entries.  Seems
to work (I tested it with creating vn entries one time with
/usr/sbin/dev_mkdb - the other time I renamed this command to
make it inaccessible to simulate the sitation during a single
user boot when /usr is unavailable) and is simple.

The disadvantage is that a "MAKEDEV all" calls it multiple
times.  As far as I can see this either requires a restructu-
ring of MAKEDEV so that it gets a wrapper which the user calls
and which does the update of /var/run/dev.db after all the
work is done or putting a call to /usr/sbin/dev_mkdb at the
end of every case it has.  The former is much work and the
latter requires massive code replication which will sooner or
later lead to someone adding a device but forgetting this.
:-(

Stefan.

*** MAKEDEV.ORIG	Wed Mar 25 02:56:49 1998
--- MAKEDEV	Thu Jun 11 22:16:31 1998
*** 1163,1165 ****
--- 1163,1170 ----

  esac
  done
+
+ # XXX "MAKEDEV all" calls this multiple times though one is enough
+ if [ -x /usr/sbin/dev_mkdb ]; then
+ 	/usr/sbin/dev_mkdb
+ fi