Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:57:57 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   US Immigration (was: Funny, but true...)

On Sat, 13 June 1998 at 17:41:07 -0400, Lee Cremeans wrote:

> The root of this, though, is the fact that the State Department is
> paranoid, very paranoid. I'm sure they have some right to be at this
> moment, after all the attacks on US installations in the Middle East
> (and the NYC World Trade Center bombing here 5 years ago) by rabid
> Islam fundamentalists...and the Nazi thing is because there are
> Nazis hiding out in South America, apparently, that avoided the
> Nuremburg trials in 1946 (most are very old now, and I would not
> doubt they'd all be dead in 10 years).

Don't believe that these questions are new.  As I mentioned, we had
them (+ communism) in 1957, and every time since that I've applied for
a US visa, I have had to answer pretty much the same collection.

Here's another one.  My visa is valid until some time in 2001, but
when I left for the US last week, I was given a green form I-94W (Visa
Waiver Arrival/Departure Form).  On the back of it, just above the
signature, was this interesting statement:

  WAIVER OF RIGHTS:  I hereby waive any rights to review or appeal of
  an immgration officer's determination as to my admissibility, or to
  contest, other that on the basis of an application for asylum, any
  action in deportation.

My first reaction was to cross out this paragraph.  I decided a little
later that that would not be a good idea, and got the I-94 (white
form, for people with visas).  But what a waiver!  Any immigration
officer who didn't like the look of me could just send me back half
way round the world, and I couldn't even complain.

Greg