Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:10:31 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Subject:   Re: Equium 6200M successfull install

At 11:47 AM -0500 6/20/98, Dave Bodenstab wrote:
> I have successfully installed the 5/20 snap on a dual-ppro
> Toshiba Equium 6200m (pr440fx mb).  I had to upgrade the
> firmware on the Micropolis disks, but that's all.

That's encouraging to hear!  I have a second PPro to install in one
of my Toshiba 6200M's, but I haven't done it yet (almost did it this
past weekend).

> Previously, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com> had noted:
>
>>   It appears that a BIOS upgrade may be necessary (one newer than
>>   that available from Toshiba).

> Since I'm now new to SMP, a few questions:
>
> 1.  I got the BIOS upgrade from the intel support site, but when I
>     tried it, it gave me an error about a failure to initialize the
>     flash memory and the upgrade aborted.  Anyone have a clue about
>     this?

Both I and a friend of mine bought some of these Toshibas.  As near
as we can tell, all of the machines require that you change a jumper
on the motherboard to do a BIOS upgrade.  It's the "Flash Mode
Recover" jumper (J12B1-B).  All the documentation that we've read
indicates that you'd only need to use this jumper in emergency
situations (such as if you've really screwed up a previous attempt
to upgrade the BIOS).  However, we have had to use this on all the
BIOS upgrades we have done.

This means you end up having to do the upgrade "blind".  You flip
the jumper on, boot up off the floppy which has the bios upgrade,
wait until the floppy light goes out and you hear two "beeps",
turn the machine off, flip the jumper back, and then boot up
normally.  You then follow the remaining instructions (such as
going thru the BIOS settings to make sure they're what you want
them to be).  It is a little disconcerting, but it has worked
every time.

And if anyone is dual-booting into WinNT, you may find that
WindowsNT dies with the blue screen of death immediately on
bootup.  If this happens to you, it might mean that you have
turned off the APM support in the BIOS as part of the upgrade.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute