Date:      Sat, 04 Jul 1998 17:31:54 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Percy Cheng <percy@iohk.com>, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD boot manager...

> > detail on : What's mean within 1024 cylinders?? And how
> > much the HDD space can be located within it??
>
> This depends on your disk.  Typically, it means that you're restricted
> to the first 500MB of an IDE disk.

But one shouldn't depend on this to be the exact number for all disks.
My brothers new 5.1 GByte IDE harddisk says it has 15 heads and then
the amount of space useable for bootable partitions will be smaller by
a factor of 16/15.

Take 1024, multiply it by the number of sectors per track and then
multiply by the number of heads.  To convert it to KByte divide by a
factor of 2 as a sector is 512 Bytes.  That's the useable space for
booting in KByte.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.