Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 18:36:13 -0700
From:      "Jasmine(Yongqi) Wang" <jwang@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

HI, Mike,

Thanks for your answer. I want to evaluate TLB miss rate for a single
process. I don't know how to deal with the interrupt. maybe just ignore
them. Guess for scheduling, i will just run a single job, so it should
be ok, right?

> You haven't really been clear enough here.  Are you trying to evaluate
> TLB miss rates for a single process, or for the entire system?  If for
> just a single process, what do you plan to do to deal with the errors
> introduced by interrupts and scheduling?
>

> It would be trivial to add a sysctl variable to obtain the value from
> userland, should you wish to do so, as the handler runs in the kernel.
>
> AFAIK, you can simply modify the support functions for the other CR
> registers, eg. in sys/i386/i386/support.s:
>
> /* rcr4() */
> ENTRY(rcr4)
>         movl    %cr4,%eax
>         ret
i only know i can add some system calls to get the result from usermode.
so i guess this means i can read cr4 once i add this to support.s. would
you please tell me what sorts of code can be added to support.s, or
where i can find such info?

thanks again for your help,
--
Jasmine.