Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:39:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about including dummynet in 2.2.7 ?

> > > The only problem I can see with Luigi's changes is I believe that they
> > > will screw the ipfw interface again (right, Luigi?)
> >
> > depends on what you mean for 'screw up' ...
>
> I mean that it isn't binary compatible; if somebody compile a kernel
> after this change, they'll also have to re-compile ipfw.

not a big issue in my opinion -- this interface is not something dozens
of program use, and if you reinstall the system you'll get the updated
ipfw anyways. I would be really more worried about user-level
compatibility issues i.e. syntax for firewall rules etc.

> After reading your comments, I'm still not certain if this is the
> case.  They sounded like they _might_ be implementable without
> changing the kernel<->userland interface.
>
> So - _do_ this break ipfw binary compatibility (apart from people not
> being able to use the extensions with the old binaries, of course)?

could be, but with some work, and by losing would lose the
constant-time jumps which are in my opinion a sufficient reason to
give up with backward compatibility, even forgetting the bandwidth
management. (the reason is the ipfw struct already fills up completely
an mbuf and i need one more field to point to the jump target .)

	cheers
	luigi