Date:      Sat, 04 Jul 1998 17:45:36 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: accton on a append-only file ?

> I've created the /var/account/acct file with sappend,sunlink flags,
> but accton return EPERM.  If I run accton before setting those flags,

>   This seems to be a bug, but I still have much to learn from VFS

To me, too.  It is because kern_acct.c in 2.2-stable opens the file
for writing, not for appending.  There is the problem:

        /*
         * If accounting is to be started to a file, open that file for
         * writing and make sure it's a 'normal'.
         */
        if (uap->path != NULL) {
                NDINIT(&nd, LOOKUP, NOFOLLOW, UIO_USERSPACE, uap->path, p);
                error = vn_open(&nd, FWRITE, 0);
                if (error)
                        return (error);

Unless there is already a PR for this (check the PR database on the
FreeBSD web pages) I'd suggest sending in a new one.

> before searching for the culprit myself.  Does it deserve a send-pr,
> even without patches ?

I think it's as easy as adding FAPPEND to the mode.  The only problem
is making sure that it has no unexpected side effects.  If you like
quote this email in the PR to point at a possible way to fix it.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.