Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 16:22:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portability of scatter / gather

On Saturday,  4 July 1998 at  0:25:14 -0500, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
>>> On all BSD systems, is it the case that an item written with writev
>>> can be read with read without translation, or does readv have to be
>>> used?
>> readv and writev are just ways of transferring the data.  After it is
>> onn the medium, you can't tell how it got there.  So yes, you can read
>> it without translation.
>
> (Thanks also to Julian for his quick response.)
>
> How about mixing send and read, or write and recv?  Are these
> equivilent on a socket if flags == 0?

You can tell that this is a tougher question, can't you?

I don't have the time to check through the code on this one.  On the
whole, it sounds like a bad idea to mix implementations.  readv and
read are really the same interface to a different implementation, but
sockets involve a completely different way of approaching things.  I'd
guess that it would be dangerous to mix the calls even if it did work
now: there's no guarantee that it would stay that way.

Greg