Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 16:52:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        rln@ludd.luth.se (Rolf Larsson)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two problems (Ultra2-performance and CD-recording)

Rolf Larsson wrote...
> Hello people,
>
> I have two problems which I suspect may be related to CAM.
>
> The system in question is a twin-CPU PII-400 with 256MB ECC memory and
> an on-board Adaptec 7890 controller with a Seagate Cheetah Ultra2-LW disk
> and a Yamaha CD-R 4260t CD-writer. (entire dmesg & config attached below)
>
> Source is 3.0-SNAP-980520 with the CAM patches from the same day.
>
> Problem 1: I can't get the performance I want out of the disk. Probing
> when booting shows:
>
> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> da0: Serial Number LJ01239200001840H6VQ
> da0: 6.600MB/s transfers , 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 8683C)
>
> However, running camcontrol -i after booting gives me:
>
> [root@habanero] /sys/i386/conf > camcontrol -i
> <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> Serial Number LJ01239200001840H6VQ
> 80.0MB/s transfers (40.0MHz, offset 0, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
>
> which seems more reasonable (to me at least).

	Notice the offset 0.  That isn't good.  We know there are problems
with the 7890 and Ultra 2 disks, most likely related to negotiation.
Others have reported similar strange behavior.  The problems with the 7890
and Ultra 2 drives aren't likely to be fixed until Justin gets an Ultra 2
drive to test.  The Atipa folks have agreed to send him one, and it should
arrive in a couple of days.  That will hopefully help him find the problem.

> Playing around with bonnie, dd, etc gives no more than 5.2 MB/s throughput.
> This is both with and without the CD-burner attached, so it is not the
> cause of the problem. I would be happy to try out any ideas you have.

	Right, it looks like your drive has attached async, so it isn't
surprising that you haven't gotten over 6.6MB/sec.

> Problem 2: The CD-writer doesn't show up when booting. I am clueless on this
> one, and would appreciate any hints (including "you have forgotten to add
> option FOO, stupid!" :-) that may help us in getting it going.

	Well, there isn't a WORM driver in CAM at the moment.  I'm working
on it, though.  In the next snapshot, the CDROM driver will attach to your
WORM drive.  For now, there are a couple of things you can do.

	- If you want to be able to use it as a CDROM drive, look in
	  sys/cam/scsi/scsi_cd.c.  In the cdasync() function, you'll see a
	  piece of code that looks like this:

	  if (cgd->pd_type != T_CDROM)
		break;

	  Change it so that it looks like this:

	  if ((cgd->pd_type != T_CDROM) && (cgd->pd_type != T_WORM))
		break;

	  That will cause your WORM drive to get probed by the CD
	  peripheral driver.  That change is already in the tree, and will
	  be in the next snapshot.

	- If you just want to see if CAM probed your WORM drive, and don't
	  want to make the above change for some reason, boot with -v, and
	  you'll see all the passthrough driver probe messages.  The
	  passthrough driver attaches to every SCSI device.

	- If you want to burn CD's, download and compile the cdrecord port
	  that Mike Smith did. (I tweaked it a bit.)

	  ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/cdrecord-1.6-cam.980630.tar.gz

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com