Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:07:51 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, joelh@gnu.org, FreeBSD-Current <FreeBSD-Current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aout / elf library directories

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 01:52:29AM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> I think the timeframe for the death of /usr/lib/elf is within the next
> couple weeks, if all goes well.

[ Disclaimer: this is well out of my general area of expertise, but this
  has had me wondering for a while ]

I'm a little confused by this. If I understand correctly, there are some
niggling problems with ELF (which is why we have tools such as brandelf)
and a switch to yet another format at some point in the future is not
totally out of the question.

At which point we'd need to go through all this again.

Wouldn't it actually make more sense to have /usr/lib.aout, /usr/lib.elf,
and have /usr/lib be a symlink[1] to one or the other as appropriate? Then
in X years time when (if) a new format is adopted, it can slot in with
less effort.

[1] Or variant symlink
--
Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache