Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:48:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        ark@eltex.ru
Cc:        ben@efn.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ssh vsprintf (was the lame whoose-language is better war)

| > |
| > | This package installs two programs that need special privileges.  Ssh
| > | is the client program, and it is by default installed as suid root,
| > | because it needs to create a privileged port in order to use .rhosts
| > | files for authentication.  If it is not installed as suid root, it will
| > | still be usable, but .rhosts authentication will not be available.  Also, the
| > | private host key file is readable by root only.
| >
| > Hmm.. Just OOI why would it need to be suid root to read the .rhosts
| > file? Surely there's a better solution, maybe installing it sgid
| > within it's own group?
|
| AFAIR it is _client_ that needs root to initiate connection from a
| privileged port. Mandatory for .rhosts authentication.

Yeh your right..

bash-2.00# whereis rlogin
rlogin: /usr/bin/rlogin /usr/share/man/man1/rlogin.1.gz
/usr/src/usr.bin/rlogin
bash-2.00# cd /usr/bin
bash-2.00# chmod 755 rlogin
bash-2.00# su kronus
su-2.00$ rlogin kaos.fast.net.uk
rlogin: remote host doesn't support Kerberos: Connection refused
rcmd: socket: Permission denied
su-2.00$

|  [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

Oh my god :) A FidoNet address? That still exists? <grin>

Regards,

Jay Tribick

[| Network Administrator | FastNet International | http://fast.net.uk/ |]
[|        Finger netadmin@fastnet.co.uk for contact information        |]