Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:01:11 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

At 07:38 PM 7/21/98 -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>The fact remains that the FSF is the most visible group in this space, has
>the most clearly set agenda for how to spend money, actively solicits
>donations, and, in my opinion, is today the least polarizing place they
>could put the money.  If they gave it to Linux Intl, or to FreeBSD Inc,
>clearly there'd be moans from one side of the hall or another.

Giving money to the FSF *is*, for all practical purposes, giving it to Linux
International. They evangelize Linux constantly -- and never FreeBSD.

>I'm not defending their choice, but merely trying to say, don't let it get
>your goat.  This isn't going to be a whole lotta money.  If you want to
>apply emotive force towards generating money for FreeBSD, Inc., there are a
>number of ways we can do it.  I'm willing to bet ORA would consider giving
>the money from the next one to a different group.

Will they remember next time? Or conveniently forget that they'd promised
this? (O'Reilly has, so far, shown itself to be squarely in the Linux camp
because it believes that's where the money is.)

Richard Stallman already has his "genius grant;" he doesn't need more dough
right now. I say, let's opt to have the money split a FEW ways THIS time.

--Brett