Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:21:27 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>, purebeef@shaw.wave.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using 1 machine (a FreeBSD one) to connect 2 pcs to the net via

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 12:03:01PM -0700, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> At 12:27 PM 7/22/98 -0400, purebeef@shaw.wave.ca wrote:
> >I have been trying to get one of our pc's (my son's), who uses windows
> >to be able to play starcraft. Unfortunately, when he connects to
> >battle.net he gets a message about udp packets which are failing.
> >
> >fail? I have in rc.conf, the firewall set to "open" and am using dhcpc as
> >well as natd.

> It has to do with how natd learns to redirect packets and the way battle.net
> opens connections. If you search the freebsd-questions archive, you'll
> probably
> find a message or two which specifies the exact port you need to
> '-redirect_port' with natd, as per natd's manpage (i remember seeing two posts
> about it a few months ago). If an archive search doesn't help, run tcpdump and
> see at which port battle.net is trying to connect to your gateway machine.

Battle.net connects via port 6112.  I had a similar problem on my home
network, which is connected via ppp and a modem.  Although my ipfw is
set to 'open' and the ipfiltering built into ppp allows all packets by
default, I had to explicitly state
 alias port udp 10.0.0.3:6112 6112
 alias port tcp 10.0.0.3:6112 6112
in my ppp.cfg file in order for the packets to go through.  The ppp
aliasing code seems _very_ similar to natd; maybe something like these
(-redirect_port commands) in your natd configuration file would help.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com                "You uudecode it."