Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:26:04 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        woods@zeus.leitch.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does CVSup sometimes "Touch" every file in the repository?

In article <199807241540.LAA03611@brain.zeus.leitch.com>,
Greg A. Woods <woods@zeus.leitch.com> wrote:

> Occasionally, esp. after global tagging, etc., CVSup wants to "Touch"
> every file in the repository.  Why?  I can't think of any CVS operation
> that would do this unless someone deletes a tag and re-applies it
> between the times I run CVSup -- and I know Jordan mentioned he had
> moved a tag forward on a couple of files yesterday (I assumed he would
> have done this on only those individual files though).

Normally, a "touch" indicates that the modtime of the file changed,
but not its contents.  I've seen what you describe before too,
including on the most recent tagging for 2.2.7.  But I can't really
explain it, except that the files on the server must have had their
modtimes changed somehow.

One user action that might cause this:  If you run cvsup in non-GUI
mode (-g), and kill it before it's finished, and then run it again,
I think you'll see a "touch" on all the files that were updated in
the first run.  That's appropriately viewed as a bug; cvsup doesn't
clean up correctly if it's killed by a signal.  With the GUI,
pressing the "stop" button does clean up properly.