Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 12:54:16 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Bobby S. Wen" <wen@vasia.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extending max characters for user names

For future reference, please send questions to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

Bobby S. Wen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to increase the maximium characters allowed for user names.  When i
> use  adduser, it limits me to 8.  I understand that this is normal in many
> implementations.

	You will need to change a couple files and use "make world" to
recompile the system for the larger usernames. Any third party utilities
that use usernames like ssh or xterm will also have to be recompiled
after the make world is done. The good news is that it works just fine,
I have been running -Stable with 16 char usernames for over a year now.

In /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h:
change MAXLOGNAME to 18

In /usr/src/include/utmp.h:
change UT_NAMESIZE to 16

If you need help with the make world, take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html and click on the Upgrading FreeBSD from
source (using make world) tutorial. After you're done with this some
utilities like adduser will have to be modified by hand to support the
long usernames, but we're working on making these fewer and farther
between as time goes on. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb