Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
To:        Steffen Grunewald <steffen@gfz-potsdam.de>
Cc:        Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>, AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Made boot images for Debian/GNU 2.0 Linux

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> Matthias Klose wrote:
> |>
> |> Btw, the whole day I only got PARITY erros from the SCSI
> |> controller. Finally (for another reason) I changed the monitor (!) and
> |> the PARITY errors disappeared. PC hardware ... or driver problems?
>
> radio emissions from them monitor and bad SCSI cables ?
> did you try to reduce the transmit rate of your drives ?
> could be a serious flaw, so check it out before it's too late.
> (we lost 3*9GB lkast week because of bad SCSI cables :-((( )

I hate to even mention it but on one of the systems (the one that
worked but then failed) its PCI video card briefly failed after I
recabled, then came back spontaneously.

I may try something really radical like reseating all the PCI
devices.  Back in the old days when I did Suns (as in 4/110's and
386i's and SS1's:-) they would occasionally fail their memory test
because the SIMMS were in "dirty" slots -- just a bit of dust or
corrosion was enough to cause parity errors on considerably slower
memory than is used today.  I cannot do anything about the onboard
SCSI controllers, but maybe the aic7xxx errors are really generic PCI
bus errors tweaked when writing to the bus while there is interference
on the bus from a "bad" card connection.  This could easily depend on
macroscopic stuff like how much the boxes were knocked around in
transit or how hard I push the cables onto their card connectors.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu