Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:17:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TESTERS WANTED for new ATAPI CD/CDR/CDRW driver.

> In article <199808151902.VAA08482@sos.freebsd.dk> you wrote:
> >
> >> For what it's worth, I don't see much value in treating ATA disks as
> >> though they were SCSI disks; the overhead in translation is probably
> >> too high.  On the other hand, I'm less sure about things that use the
> >> ATAPI packet protocol.
> >
> > The ATA driver with lowlevel ATAPI support _must_ be implemented in
> > all cases, the difference is if the ATAPI device are registered under
> > CAM (scsi) or if there are nataive ATAPI drivers instead.
>
> I don't understand why everyone has this misconception.

Then you also dont understand what I'm writing :)

What I said is that the lowlevel support (ie that code thats speaks
directly to the controller/drive) has to be implemented no matter
what layer I put on top. Now I allready have a layer that talks
ATAPI (ie the old ATAPI system), and I still use that for now in
the code put up for testing (and that has NONE of the new LL code
in it, its just burner support).
If one wants CAM (and maybe we all will when it gets there), its
a matter of exchanging the interface to the top layer which is
pretty easy when you have all the LL stuff in place.

So when do we get CAM, when do we get documentation for it ??

When thats in place I'll look at using it...