Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 01:20:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        imp@village.org, dkelly@hiwaay.net, rabtter@aye.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

Joel Ray Holveck said:
> >> While you are at it and breaking binary compatibility for security
> >> reasons, make sure you remove stuff a webserver doesn't need such as
> >> /usr/include, compilers, manpages, etc. Maybe PicoBSD would be the
> >> place to start?
> > You are better off NOT breaking binary compatibility to get what you
> > want.  You would be better served by porting StackGuard to FreeBSD,
> > which would give you excellent protection against most stack
> > overflows.
>
> I think the idea rabtter had in mind was to keep the intruders from
> compiling (or cross-compiling) some random utility from rootshell.com
> on another box and ftping it over.  There are security holes other
> than stack overflows, you know.

I posted this through another mechanism by mistake, and so I apologize
if this message is a repeat for you:

Try modifying your system so that one of the flags bits is required to
run a program.  It would the require both the flags bit and the executable
bit.  Make sure the system cannot allow anyone but root set the chosen
flags bit.  Maybe you could use the immutable flag, for this so that you
get theoretical immutability along with the ability to run code.  You
might want to relax the restriction for root, but maybe not (depending
on how your admin scheme is setup.)

In this way, you would not need to change binary compatibility, but
programs will simply not run, unless the user figures out a way to set
the flags bit.  Hopefully, you will have made sure that the kernel API
doesn't allow setting that bit by non-root.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid