Date:      03 Sep 1998 16:08:43 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW problem with 2.2-stable

Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com> writes:
> Initially the problem showed up when browing their Usenet archives
> (www2.altavista.digital.com), it would connect (netstat shows socket
> in connected state) but no data would ever be recieved (confirmed by
> modem lights). Eventually Netscape just times out. Once in a blue
> moon, it'll work, but 99% of the time, it fails as above.

This reminds me of the MTU discovery problem that was recently
discussed on one of the lists. It's not related to the exact site
you're trying to connect to, but rather to the path between you and
that site (to be exact, to the lowest MTU between you and that site).
Try searching the archives (-net, -hackers, -current, -stable).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no