Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:37:52 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make.conf

John Polstra wrote:

> > >     diff3 -m MINE OLDER YOURS > NEW
> >
> > So you're implying that OLDER will be created when:
> >
> >    A) The system is first installed, perhaps by preserving the
> >       "base" rc.conf as /etc/rc.conf.dist
> >
> >    B) One of these fancy[er] merges has been done, in which case
> >       /etc/rc.conf.dist is overwritten with the base rc.conf file
> >       from the new release.
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> Joerg also had an idea for deducing the original (OLDER) file on
> "unknown" systems using md5 checksums, but it's too early in the
> morning to reconstruct it right now.  Also, if all the important files
> had RCS $Id$ (or $FreeBSD$) keywords, then the revision number of
> OLDER could be determined from those.

	I REALLY like this idea, and will work to include it in my "update the
configuration files generated by /usr/src/etc/Makefile" script asap.
Meanwhile, it would be of tremendous assistance to that effort and
others if someone would take a look at all the files generated by that
Makefile and add $Id strings to the ones that don't already have them.
I've been planning to ask for this for some time, however this seems to
be a good time since there is some motivation on the project currently.
:) I will be happy to provide a list of the files that  need an $Id if
that is preferable. You can find a painless system for generating these
files into a temporary environment on Nik's "make world" tutorial.

	One of the reasons that an $Id string is desirable is that with my
script I make the assumption that if the $Id matches on a given file I
can ignore the local modifications. This *greatly* reduces the number of
files that have to be dealt with by hand on the average upgrade. If
anyone's interested in seeing how this is done, check out
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/upgrade.html. You can ignore most of the
stuff I cribbed from Nik's page long ago before he updated it, but my
'comproot' script is there.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb