Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:02:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicating cd's with dd.

>> does anyone know if there are "preferred" parameters for using dd to
>> copy cd's with ?
> You can improve performance slightly with a larger block size (fewer
> syscalls), but that's about it.  I use 64K as an arbitrary figure; it
> seems to run about as fast as the drive will go.

I wrote a small script that tests each blocksize (with the laser off),
and plots the number of blocks transferred before a buffer underrun,
and the BPS rate.  Since this is a slow system (Am486DX/4-100,
AHA-1542, CDD-2600), then the timing is quite critical to me, and most
block sizes would cause an underrun.  I got a pretty clear pattern,
indicating the optimal blocksize as 32k.

Best,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan