Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 07:53:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        mdgabriel@hotmail.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: stumped at install

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 djv@bedford.net wrote:

=> Greg Lehey wrote
=> > On Sunday, 30 August 1998 at  2:54:01 -0400, CyberPeasant wrote:
=> > > Michael Gabriel wrote:
=> > >> I have recently acquired a copy of Freebsd 2.26.  Only to be
=> > >> disappointed and frustrated with the install.  I have a cdrom and plenty
=> > >> of disk space.  When cued to alloted a certain amount of memory space
=> > >> (minimum being as you mention 20M) I'm at a loss as to "set" the
=> > >> specifics.  (ie. /, /swap/, /var)  as required.  It seems a hassle and I
=> > >> don't want it to be so.  Can you help.
=> > >
=> > > Assuming this is for general purpose use, and by lots of disk I mean
=> > >> 1GB.
=> > >
=> > > /	64 MB
=> > > /var	64 MB
=> > > swap	128 MB
=> > > /usr	what's left
=> > >
=> > > you might want a separate partition for /tmp and /home
=> > > maybe 64MB for /tmp?
=> >
=> > Why?  You've specified too many file systems already.  Without knowing
=> > what he wants to use the machine for (or even how big his disk
=> > partition is), you can't recommend anything, though a guess at the

You got a good variety of responses, and I had not thought of
approaching an install such as Greg had suggested but it sounds prudent
(of course he did right the book :) ).  By making only one filesystem
you don't risk ending up with to much space in `/' and `var', and not
enough space in `/usr'.

I have always used the Auto settings in the novice install and then used
those as a guide to setting my filesystem sizes.  It may work for you.
I will definately keep Gregs suggestion in mind on future minimum
installs.

Hope this helps.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk