Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW showing extra lines

<<On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:22:40 +0200, Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de> said:

>> From my patch:
>> valsize = len;
>> if (sopt->sopt_valsize < valsize) {
>> valsize = sopt->sopt_valsize;
>> -		sopt->sopt_valsize = len;
>> }
>> +	sopt->sopt_valsize = len;

> And here the correct fix should have been "= valsize" instead of "=
> len" - otherwise the result length might end up being larger than the
> buffer provided.  I think then the fix is OK.

No -- you missed the point of the comment above.  The definition of
the API is that we always return the size of the total amount of data
we have, regardless of what the size of the user's buffer is --
indeed, they can supply a null buffer in order to find out how much
space they must allocate to hold it all.

-GAWollman