Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 10:47:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Leonard Ong <Leonard_Ong@iname.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nagging BackSpace

On Sunday,  6 September 1998 at  0:48:01 +0700, Leonard Ong wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using BASH, and it's very nagging the way I delete. If i press delete,
> the cursor will delete the previous characters instead of the next ones as
> normal. Is there way to resolve this ?

You can read the bash man page, which I believe tells you how to remap
the keys.  But I wouldn't recommend hanging on to remnants of a
different system.  By default, bash uses the Emacs bindings which are
also used on a number of other programs, such as Netscape.  To delete
the following character, use ^D (that's control-D).  Read the man page
or "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm) (page 148) for a more
complete list.

> One more, I use VIM lots in linux, but why VIM in FreeBSD felt different,
> for example if i press delete key, it won't delete instead it put ^? in the
> cursor. Is there a logical explaination of this ?

I don't know VIM.  Do you mean the editor vim?  I don't know it, but
it's conceivable that it's like vi.  I don't know what DEL (^?) is
supposed to do, but obviously vim doesn't understand it.  You can read
the manual or change your editor.

Greg